salta la barra Po-Net » Museums of Prato and province » Dead Nature Museum and Medici's Villa
Po-Net

Musei di Prato e Provincia

Dead Nature Museum

Dead Nature Museum and Medici Villa


Dead nature museum

The museum is on the second floor in the Medici’s villa and it is composed by 16 rooms totally dedicated to the Dead nature which are part of the collection of the family itself. It was inaugurated in 2007, it is the only one museum for its genre in Italy: here there are 200 paintings approximately  that cover the period between the end of ‘500 until the first half of ‘700.

The most important italian schools  of dead nature that are presented here are: the Florentine one, the Roman one, the Genoese one, the Neapolitan one, in addition to different types of Flemish and European paintings. Particularly interesting is the huge collection of paintings made by Bartolomeo Bimbi, dedicated to the research of rare and odd botanical and zoological examples.

Medici’s Villa

Medici’s villa in Poggio a Caiano was ordered by Lorenzo The Magnificent to the arquitect Giuliano from Sangallo, who made it from 1845, going on with jobs until 1492, they were stopped because of Lorenzo’s death in the same year. The architectural model thought by Sangallo was totally innovative: indeed villa was designed open with two big terraces and lodges with the access to the landscape nearby, so it will be the model  which will remain for the next centuries.

Althought  inner changes done, the villa remains tied to the figure of Lorenzo The Magnificent and to the humanist circle which was gathered around him. Even after Lorenzo’s death, it continued to be tied to Medici’s family as a favourite place for wedding parties and for rest periods.

Villa is sorrounded by a big parque which arrives to the Ombrone river where there historical buildings like the chapel, the kitchens, a building called “limonaia” in which lemons were cultivated, ghiacciaia?, moreover there is a garden with an italian style.

The visit path inside the villa has two different directions: the first one is possibile visiting the monumental apartaments on the ground floor and first floor while in the second one is possible to visit the dead nature museum.

Monumental apartments and Leone X’s hall

The visit for the public allows the tour at the ground floor, a large part changed and prepared by arquitects, set designers, painters requested by the king Vittorio Emanuele II  during the period when there was Savoy family, so some rooms equally modified in the Savoy period connected to the figure of Bianca Cappello (Francesco’s I second wife) who died in 1579 maybe because of poisoning.

At the ground floor there is a small court  theatre that was planned by Marguerite Louise d'Orleans, Cosimo’s III wife and king Luigi’s XIV cousin. Nowadays the theatre is utilized for shows and concerts.

At the first floor there is the big hall dedicated to Pope Leone X, it is great call element for tourists. The Pope  was Giovanni De’ Medici, son of Lorenzo The Magnificent  who contiued the decorative work of art started by his father.

The hall has got cannon vaults and it is decorated with rich stuccos, it is whole frescoed witha  famous pictorial cicle that shows Roman ancient histories inspired to the celebration of Cosimo The Old’s and Lorenzo The Magnificent’s lives. The frescoes were painted in two phases: between 1513 and 1521 with paitings by Pontormo, Andrea Del Sarto and Franciabigio and between 1578 and 1582 with the paitings of Alessandro Allori.

Near the hall there is the “Sala del fregio” (frieze room), recently prepared,  where there is exposed the frieze made in terracotta and glass dated 1490 ca. And originally placed on the tympanum of the portico of facade, where histories from the classics that were strongly influenced by neoplatonic philosophy  of the humanistic circle of Lorenzo The Magnificent , that are represented. At the same floor there are the apartments of the Savoy family with the rooms and the living rooms of Vittorio Emanuele II, first king of Italy and of “bella Rosina”, morganatic wife of the king who spent her time in decorated rooms during the time of Elisa Baciocchi(Napoleone Bonaparte’s sister). The forniture of the historical apartments has been prepared thanks to the inventory of 1911, they were compiled before the villa was transfered to State.

Bartolomeo Bimbi, Ciliegie
Bartolomeo Bimbi, Cherries, 1699: one of the works on exhibition in the Museum of Still Life

Data ultima revisione dei contenuti della pagina: mercoled 05 settembre 2018

- Inizio della pagina -
Il progetto Musei di Prato e Provincia - Po-Net sviluppato con il CMS ISWEB di Internet Soluzioni Srl www.internetsoluzioni.it