salta la barra Po-Net » Museums of Prato and province » Museum of Pretorio Palace
Po-Net

Musei di Prato e Provincia

Museum of Pretorio Palace

Pretorio Museum

The Pretorio Museum reopened to the public in 2014, after being closed for 20 years due to restoration.

Inside the beautiful thirteenth century three-story building, re-designed by Adolfo Natalini, Piero Guicciardini and Marco Magni, you can admire more than 7 years of history with the masterpieces of Bernardo Daddi, Giovanni da Milano, Donatello, Filippo and Filippino Lippi, Santi di Tito, Alessandro Allori, Batistello Caracciolo and Lorenzo Bartolini among others. The museum has got a panoramic terrace on  which looks at the whole town.

The ground floor hosts the reception, the wardrobe room, the museum shop, the conference room, the open courtyard and as well as two big rooms with cross vaults which are dedicated to temporary shows.

Technological equipments and multimedial advanced tools of latest generation  are available on each floor; as well as projectors which show the history of Pretorio Palace and the “sacra Cintola” (Holy Belt) along the virtual reconstruction of Agnolo Daddi’s frescos located in the chapel that hosts the Belt.

Pretorio Palace thus become the treasure chest of the city, an heritage of shared beauty, the symbol of the history of Prato and its identity.

 

Historical background

The Civic Museum, which is located in the Medieval Pretorio palace, it represents the oldest cultural citizen institution for history and collections.

It was promoted by by the Grand Duke of Tuscany Leopold II Habsburg from Lorena in 1788, after the suppressioon of following churches, monasteries, oratories, carried out by bishop Scipione De Ricci, when 22 art works made between 1500 and 1700, were acquired with them and a small art gallery was built.

It was reserved to a painting and drawing school founded by Prato’s municipality. Thanks to Cesare and Gaetano Guasti, after the dispersion of this small nucleus of artworks, another collection was created, mostly with artworks referring  to fourteenth and fifteenth centuries; the collection was set up in 1858 in the rooms of Palazzo Comunale.

The collection was further increased with the confiscation of ecclesistical assets operated by Italian State and with various bequests and donations, including Martini collection which comes from Misericordia Hospital.

Eventually, in 1912, the Municipal Gallery was moved to Palazzo Pretorio, headquarters by Roberto Papini; the gallery’s arrangement, made by Giuseppe Marchini in 1954, was preserved until the definitive closure of the building to the public in December, 1997.

Palazzo Pretorio
Pretorio Palace seen from the square of Municipality

Addresses and contacts

Piazza del Comune
- 59100
Prato
Website: http://www.palazzopretorio.prato.it/
E-mail: museo.palazzopretorio@comune.prato.it
Phone: 0574 19349961/ 0574 1837860
Opening time Every day from 10.30 to 18.30, except holidays Tuesdays.
Closed for Christmas holidays.
Summer opening timeIn August opened from 4 pm to 8.30 pm. Last entrance at 8 pm.
Titcket: cost details on the museum's website.
Caricamento Google Maps.......attendere

Data ultima revisione dei contenuti della pagina: venerd 05 ottobre 2018

- Inizio della pagina -
Il progetto Musei di Prato e Provincia - Po-Net sviluppato con il CMS ISWEB di Internet Soluzioni Srl www.internetsoluzioni.it