salta la barra Po-Net » Art and History » In the city » Churches » Church of St. Francesco and the Migliorati Chapel
Po-Net

Chiese

Church of St. Francesco and the Migliorati Chapel

In 1228 the Town Council of Prato presented the Minor Friars with a land where they built a little church and a priory on the right of the present church. The building works started at the beginning of 1281; it was the most important religious building in Prato, made mostly in terracotta tiles, because they were less expensive than Alberese: this material was used with the green marble of Prato for the basement and the external Romanesque gothic façade, which was completed with Reinassance elements like the paintings around the “eye” and the big triangular tympanum, with a plaster relief by Andrea della Robbia (San Francesco's stigmas).
 
In the interior of the church there is a long nave with a final choir; in this part the nave is covered with wooden trusses, re-decorated at the beginning of the twentieth century (1902-1904). On the floor, opposite the high altar, there is the tombstone, made of white marble, of Francesco Datini (who offered the church the fortieth century Crucifix); it was made in 1411-1412 by the Florentine sculptor and architect Niccolò di Pietro Lamberti (called the " Pela"). He portrayed Francesco Datini inside a gothic tabernacle. Near the altar there are a beautiful pulpit of the XV century, made of a type of stone called "serena", and the elegant tombstone of Geminiano Inghirami (1460 ca), made of marble. Over the pulpit there is a panel with the Chi Rho.
 
From the right gate of the church we arrive to the cloister, one of the first examples of renaissance architecture in Prato. Inside the cloister there are some emblems, tombstones and frescos.
 
On the eastern side opens the Migliorati Chapel, or "Del Capitolo" (commissioned by Migliorati's family); its walls were frescoed by Niccolò Gerini (1368-1415) at the beginning of the XV century, with stories of St. Matthew Apostle, St. Anthony the Abbot, a Crucifixion (ruined) and the Apostoles. It's a square shaped room, with a groin vault, where in 1801 was erected the bell tower. For this reason, many decorations were distroyed.
 
On the south side of the cloister there is the entrance to the priory: it was renewed but it still shows some beautiful rooms dating back to the early fortieth century.
Chiesa di San Francesco (facciata)
Chiesa di San Francesco (interno)
Chiesa di San Francesco (veduta posteriore esterna)

Addresses and contacts

Piazza San Francesco
, 10
- 59100
Prato
Website: http://www.sanfrancescoprato.it/
E-mail: info@sanfrancescoprato.it
Sito web dettaglio orariohttp://www.diocesiprato.it/
Phone: 0574 31555
Fax: 0574 1664996
Opening time 9:00 to 12:00 a.m. and 4:00 to 6:00 p.m., times may vary according to parish needs, it's recommended to call and to check to check the opening hours.
Mass timetables are published on the website of the Diocese of Prato, during services, the church can not be visited.
Cappella Migliorati and cloister: only by reservation.
Caricamento Google Maps.......attendere

Data ultima revisione dei contenuti della pagina: marted 17 marzo 2020

- Inizio della pagina -
Il progetto Prato Arte e storia Ŕ sviluppato con il CMS ISWEB« di Internet Soluzioni Srl www.internetsoluzioni.it