salta la barra Po-Net » Art and History » In the city » Churches » Oratory of St. Ludovico
Po-Net

Chiese

Oratory of St. Ludovico or of the Madonna del Buonconsiglio

The Oratory, which lies between Via Garibaldi and the alley of Gherardacci, was founded in the fourteenth century but restored by the family of Gherardacci, also called Bocchineri, in the late fifteenth century Renaissance style.

The original dedication of the oratory is going to St. Louis of Toulouse, as attested by the lunette above the entrance portal, depicting St. Louis between two angels in glazed crockery. As for the Madonna del Buonconsiglio, that name comes from the foundation of a coven and the construction of an altar dedicated to her by Philip Bocchineri in 1759.

The oratory unfortunately suffered serious damage by bombing in 1944, which were the cause of significant losses in the same area, so that was reopened to worship only in 1957.

It is certainly the presence of many prestigious glazed crockeries, from none other than the Florentine workshop of Andrea della Robbia, the last decade of the fifteenth century, to make the oratory a place to visit. These tiles are the only decorations present both inside and outside of the building, consisting of a single environment turned with a small chapel adjacent.

The essentiality is alternated to the stunning elegance of these decorations: above the altar is the shovel relief of Madonna in Trono between Saints Louis, Catherine of Alexandria, Mary Magdalene and Jerome (replica of a work of 1480) joint a dais with stigmatized St. Francis , the Annunciation and the Communion of Mary Magdalene. Within two niches there are instead two large statues in white delftware of Saints Julian and Ansano, in addition to those present on the facade, as the festoon of fruit with the symbol of the Rooster - Bocchineri's emblem - and polychrome San Ludovico aforementioned.

Oratorio della Madonna del Buonconsiglio e San Ludovico (esterno)
Oratorio della Madonna del Buonconsiglio e San Ludovico (interno)

Addresses and contacts

Via Giuseppe Garibaldi
- 59100
Prato
Sito web dettaglio orariohttp://www.diocesiprato.it/
Phone: 0574 27933 (Santa Maria delle Carceri)
Opening time Visiting by reservation only.
Caricamento Google Maps.......attendere

Data ultima revisione dei contenuti della pagina: marted 17 marzo 2015

- Inizio della pagina -
Il progetto Prato Arte e storia è sviluppato con il CMS ISWEB® di Internet Soluzioni Srl www.internetsoluzioni.it