salta la barra Po-Net » Museums of Prato and province » Municipality Palace

Musei di Prato e Provincia

Municipality Palace

Town hall: visit of the rooms

Entrance hall and stairwell

The entrance hall has a dropped ceiling with pavilion. At the bottom there is the stairwell where the original bronce “Fontain of Bacchino” of XVII century is preserved since 1981, made by Fernando Tacca between 1656 and 1665.

Youngsters’ (or Allegories Sala) 

Once climbep up the stairs, on the first floor, we arrive in this sala, which is full of paintings and, just for this, it is called “Quadreria Comunale” (lit. “room of the paintings”), where in origin there was a theatre called “Teatro dei Semplici” (lit. “theatre of the elementaries”)but currently is demolished.

The coffer is of nineteenth-century period. Here there are some paintings : “L’allegoria della Casa delle Muse” (lit. “the allegory of the house of the muses”) made by Agostino Tassi (Roma 1578-1644), which represents the Art School like a big art gallery, following the roman baroque style; two emblems, of the same century, integrate the room: one in honor of Gran Duke Francesco Stefano from Lorena and another one of Prato made in papier-mâché, integrate the room, finally.

Eminent men Sala 

This room is decorated with some paintings, most of them are portraits that show famous nineteenth century men. Among them there is Gaetano Magnolfi, Pier Cironi, Lorenzo Bartolini, Giuseppe Silvestri, Antonio Marini e Cesare Guasti.

A plaster bust of Leopoldo II, Holy Roman Emperor, is showed in this room and it was made by School of Art Leonardo from Prato in twentieth century. It is a copy of the work of art of Lorenzo Bartolini and an “abstract portrait” (lit. “ritratto ideale”) of Santa Caterina de’ Ricci, who is the protector of Prato, this copy was made by Lorenzo Lippi. 

Sala of the School of Prato

In this room there are three works of art made by Guido Dolci (1880-1969). They show landscape topics: River view on Bardena (“Veduta fluviale della Bardena”), 1993, Trench in Maccione (“Fosso di Maccione”), 1953 and a painting of “Facade of Prato Cathedral” (lit. “Facciata del Duomo di Prato”), 1936.


Battles Sala

This room shows two paintings: Battles scenes made in Borgognone (Jacques Courtois, 1621-1673) in 1683-84. 


Dead nature Sala

Two dead nature paintings of Neapolitan school of XVIII century give the name to the room: La Piazza dei Signori a Zara (lit.”Gentlemen’s square in Zara”) by Giulio Petrucci and Paesaggio Toscano(lit.” Tuscany landscape) by Alfiero Cappellini are showed, both of twentieth century.

About religious theme there are two paintings: L’educazione della Vergine(lit.”Education of the Virgen”) by Diacinto Fabbroni, about XVIII century, and Capriccio architettonico con rovine classiche e la predica di San Paolo(“Folly with classic ruins and San Paul’s sermon” where for “folly” in this sense means an architectural fantasy) by Ascanio Luciani, made in 1720 approximately.


Risorgimento Sala

A big “sketch of brotherhood of Prato and Pistoia” of 1848, here is preserved, work of art made by Tommaso Palloni. The scene takes place in Piazza del Comune (Municipality square) and in the background the Pretorio Palace dominates. There are different portraits of famous men of Prato and Pistoia (Francesco di Marco Datini, Pier Cironi and Garibaldi, Cino da Pistoia) and political allegories of Italy and in sequence France, England, Russia and Austria.

A copy with the title “Abraham with three angels” (lit. “Abramo con tre angeli”) was made by Claude Lorrain, who belonged to the Roman School of ‘600 and two bucolic nine hundred views painted by Gino Brogi which conclude the room. 

Sala of the gonfalon

In this room there is a fresco which depicts Virgin Mary with Baby Jesus, patron Saint Stephen and Giovanni Battista, of 1320 about, that has Giotto influence.

For what concern neoclassical portrait painting style, that is perfect and with ancient style, there is the murble bust of Luigi Vestri, actor from Prato, made by the famous Lorenzo Bartolini and the portraits of cardinal Antonio Martini and his brother, the first one done by Giuseppe Piattoli and the second one by Matteo Bertini. Moreover there are other two paitings, “Ritratto ideale dell’ammiraglio Giovanni da Verazzano”(Abstract portrait of the Admiral Giovanni Verrazzano) by Orazio Fidani of 1600 and “Il matrimonio Mistico di caterina d’Alessandria” (lit. “Mystical Marriage of St Caterina d’Alessandria”) by Paolo degli Organi, an artist from Prato.

Red Sala

This room is dedicated to women artists from Prato such as: Giulia Marini, Ada and Ebe Benini. In this area there are Nineteenteh century portraits which depict artists and famous people from Prato, like “L’autoritratto giovanile di Alessandro Ferrarini”(1835) (lit. “Selfportrait and the portrait of the female poet Ada Benini(1852) made by Antonio and Giulia Marini. The portrait of Giulia Marini is done by Adolf Sturler, but the one which represents Alessandro Ferrarini is done by Luigi Asioli. There is also a beautiful murble chest with the figure of the artist Antonio Marini (1865), made by Pietro Gavazzi from Pistoia.

Mayor’s Sala 

It was created in 1870, in origin it was allocated to become the council art gallery, through the union of small spaces that already hosted the collection, it was designed by Ottaviano Berti and wanted by Gaetano and cesare Guasti. The vault has frescos painted in the nineteenth century by Pietro Pezzati (Antonio Marini’s student) that depict famous artist from Prato such as Filippino Lippi, Bartolini and Fra’ Bartolomeo, while the grotesque (in arquitecture it is a curved stone figure) are works of art by Eust achio Turchini. The big round table of Sixteenth century was made by Giovanni Maria Butteri (Allori’s student) and it has the emblem of the cardinal Ferdinando de’ Medici, painted for Misericordia e Dolce’s hospital. Two paitings come from Cicognini boarding school and they were made by Gherardi Honthorst at the beginning of Seventeenth century. They depict “San Pietro liberato dal carcere” and “Cristo di fronte a Caifa”. Two “capricci” are exposed here and they are made by Alessandro Salucci, there are scenes of “Sacrifici classici con rovine romane”. At the end there are bronce sculptures, horse sculptures and a chest one.

Council Hall

This hall is the area that most of all represents  the Council Palace. The roof made in a coffer style was decorated by workers of Prato, like the wooden furniture mady by Ronchini brothers, who were engravers and woodcutters of the city. In 1600 some works on the roof were done, then  in 1870 there was a renovation of the area made by Gaetano Bianchi, who was an operative medieval art conservator in Tuscany.

From 1954 there were portraits of  “Governatori” and “Benefattori”  of Prato in this hall, among them there is one with “Cardinale Niccolò Albertini da Prato” made by Tommaso di Piero Trombetto (1510), one with  “Francesco di Marco Datini” (1588) made by Ludovico Buti, in addition to a huge serie of “Portraits of some proponents of de’ Medici’s family”, with works made between 1555 and 1726- (like Cosimo I, Francesco , Ferdinando I, Cosimo II, Ferdinando II, Cosimo III and in the end Giangastone)- and of House of Hapsburg of XVIII century- Francesco Stefano, Pietro Leopoldo, Ferdinando III, Leopoldo II.

In the superior frieze of the hall (in 1870 it was frescoed by Pietro Pezzati and Eustachio Turchini) there are painted emblems of important helpful institutions of the city, like that of orphanage Magnolfi (with the flame) and that one of Cicognini boarding school (with the stork), but there are also other emblems of families who have left several heritage to the municipality (Meucci, Lazzerini, Bartolini and others).

In the hall two frescos are preserved , works of art made by Pietro di Miniato, one of the artist most famous in Prato town between 1300 and 1400. The first one, on the left, represents “Madonna between two saints protectors” (Santo Stefano and San Giovanni Battista) made in 1415, while on the right there is “Allegoria della Iustitia Militante” made in 1416. A frescoed frieze includes the figure of “Giustizia”, the symbol of working-class and of Municipality of Florence, in addition to six tondos with “Virtù” painted by Arrigo di Niccolò, that symbolize the districts of Prato Town (lion, bear, dragon, knight).

Ex chapel of the palace

In this area a fresco entitled “Visitazione” is exposed, made in 1529 by Tommaso di Piero Trombetto, painter in Prato. There is also a painting with “Santa Caterina De’ Ricci che appare a San Filippo Neri” (1847) by Antonio Marini.


Gallery of the School in Prato of 1800 and 1900

The narrow hallway, which joins the historical wing to the one more modern, hosts paintings and sculptures of XVIII and XIX among them there are portraits and self-portraits. There is a copy of XVIII century of the self-portrait of G.Paolo Rubens and a portrait of “Santa Caterina d’Alessandria” (XVII century). Among the portraits of XVIII century there are two portraits made by Alessandro Franchi (Gerolamo Caponi and Guendalina Puggelli in Caponi’s), a portrait entitled “Ritratto del giovane Luigi Vai con l’ordine di Malta” by Alessandro Ferrarini and another portrait entitled “Ritratto di Vittorio Emanuele III Savoia in uniforme”.

There are two heads and chests sculptures in bronce and terracotta of XVIII made by Leonardo Tintor, Sergio Fiaschi, Oscar Gallo, Quinto Martini and some paintings made by Adriano Cecchi, Arrigo del Rigo, Tintori, Gino Brogi and Giuseppe Moricci.

Roman landscapes Sala

This room is at the end of the previous hallway, where paintings of XVIII century are exposed and made by Giulio Petrucci, Gino Brogi, Diego Fanciullacci and Giovanni Mazzuoli, the topics of their paintings were urban landscapes in Prato.

 There is also a copy of “Ritorno del Figliol Prodigo” of XVII century made by Scuola Fiorentina. (copia da Guercino??).

Waiting Sala of the Council

In this room there is a painting about “San Peter”, a copy of Francesco Furini, made in 1856 by Leopoldo Cipriani, pinter of Prato, and a work of art by Alessandro Ferrarini (copy made by Filippo Lippi in the Cathedral od Prato) with “The Obsequies of St Steven”.?(1880ca.) 

Emperors Sala (Council Room)

In this room there is a frescoed niche of late XIV century, work of a local school, where it is painted “Madonna con bambino tra angeli e i Santi Giovanni Battista e Stefano” in addition to a portrait “Ritratto del Granduca Ferdinando III di Asburgo-Lorena” (by Matteo Bertini, 1791) 

Venus and Apollo Sala

This room was used for hearing of “gonfalonieri” and Priors. In the background of the room there is a painting in oval form with Venus and Apollo, a copy made by Poussin in XVIII century, with wooden frame richly painted.

In this room some profane landscapes are placed, two are made by Livio Mehus and the a portrait with Teresa Vai da Verrazzano made in 1750 about.

Piazza del Comune
Fontana del Bacchino
Allegoria con la Casa delle Muse (XVII sec.)
Palazzo del Comune (Salone del Consiglio)
Ritratto in bronzo di Elena Berruti (1934)

Addresses and contacts

Piazza del Comune
, 2
- 59100
Phone: 0574 1836220 / 0574 1836229
Opening time: Le visite al palazzo comunale devono essere prenotate telefonicamente.
Visits must be booked by phone.
Caricamento Google Maps.......attendere

Data ultima revisione dei contenuti della pagina: venerd 05 ottobre 2018

- Inizio della pagina -
Il progetto Musei di Prato e Provincia - Po-Net è sviluppato con il CMS ISWEB® di Internet Soluzioni Srl